Geoffrey K. Verhoff
Senior Advisor, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
Mr. Verhoff is a Senior Advisor of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, where he advises clients on legislative and regulatory matters at state, federal and international levels. Mr. Verhoff is also the Vice Chairman on the Republican National Committee’s (RNC) Finance Committee.
Mr. Verhoff develops, implements, and manages targeted strategies to further the interests of his clients. Mr. Verhoff advises on a wide range of legislative and regulatory matters at state, federal and international levels. Mr. Verhoff has successfully managed coalitions and large projects focused on advocacy, strategic communications, and grassroots development and outreach. Mr. Verhoff practice focuses on leveraging the intersection of politics and policy.
Mr. Verhoff combines his political and policy experience in creative ways that lead to significant achievements for his clients and Congress. In 2015, Mr. Verhoff managed a coalition of key influencers to assist with the passage of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA), which rescinded the formula known as the “doc fix,” an unsustainable policy dating back to 2003. Mr. Verhoff led a similar effort that significantly contributed to the passage of the Puerto Rico Oversight, Management and Economic Stability Act (PROMESA), legislation, which gave Puerto Rico the necessary tools to restructure its debt.
Mr. Verhoff worked for Sen. William V. Roth, Jr. (R-DE), who served as chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, during the last three years of the Senator’s career. Following that, Mr. Verhoff joined the RNC’s finance team that supported President George W. Bush’s successful re-election campaign. Mr. Verhoff was extensively involved in the past four presidential campaigns as well as numerous House, Senate, and third-party efforts.
- Secured funding in the 2018 Farm Bill for a federal research initiative focused on saving a key domestic agricultural commodity.
- Manages a coalition on patent reform.
- Successfully secured a tax provision to help the citrus industry in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
- Led efforts on tribal tax issues culminating in the successful passage of the only original tax bill approved in the 113th.
- Represents foreign sovereigns on international trade, tax and development matters.